Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Best Fourth of July


I have been to many great fireworks over the years. However, one Fourth of July stands out among all the rest when I was 13.  My Dad who was a professional singer had to do a concert in New York City right before the holiday.  My mom and I were having typical mother-daughter issues and they thought some time away for me would be good.  So, they decided that it would be a great idea to take me with him on his trip. 

We toured the city including The World Trade Center which was an amazing building.  He took me to some wonderful restaurants too.  All of that was fantastic and I enjoyed spending time with my dad.  The only thing that I was bummed about was that we were leaving the night of the Fourth of July which meant I wasn't going to be able to see any fireworks.  Boy, was I wrong!


Our plane took off about 9:30 that clear evening. To my surprise, I was invited to the BEST fireworks display EVER! As our plane soared into the sky, I could see for miles all around New York City all the fireworks going off. It was amazing to be on top of the display. It seemed like there were over a dozen places that were having shows. The view from the plane was magical!


That trip made a big impact on me.  My husband and I decided that we would do trips with our children when they turned 13.  It would be their "welcome into the teenage world" kind of trips.  It allow time to bond with them alone.  We chose my husband to take our son and I was to take my daughter.  Our trips were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to say the least.  Each child was allowed to choose (within reason) what and where they wanted to go. 

Zach chose to go to the mountains and take a trip to the Buford Pusser Museum in Tennessee.  Here is my husband Joe and son Zach on their trip.  My husband made friends with the workers at the museum  This allowed them some private access into Pusser's car.  It also allowed my husband to put on  a jacket that Buford Pusser himself wore.  Both of them are holding the Buford Pusser club which I am happy to say we are the proud owners of his and hers matching replicas."


Kate chose the beach and I was all in favor of that!


We went to the Charleston area and stayed on Seabrook Island.  The condo we rented was right on the beach.  Every morning we could wake up to the ocean, drink our tea on the deck, and then decide what we wanted to do. We ate girl food, sat on the beach, toured the city, and watch girl movies at night. The above picture was taken as a storm was rolling in.  It was amazing to watch it across the ocean.  Her birthday dinner out she tried escargot for the first time!  It was wonderful to spend time with her and my husband felt the same way about their trip


So as we celebrate our country, I hope that you will celebrate your family as well.  How about taking a trip with one of your children all by themselves-maybe for their 13th birthday or some other birthday.  It is never too late!  The memories will be precious.

Happy Celebrating and Sipping, Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Lisa,

    Happy 4th of July to you and your loved ones. What a memorable 4th of July you had in and 'above' New York'! That left a lasting impression for you and you both were able to pass it on in a special way for your children.

    Lots of love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was quite the view from the plane watching the fireworks! I also love the tradition of the one on one trips at age 13. I am sure Zach and Kate will always remember and treasure those memories!

    ReplyDelete